Experience a hike through Peru’s most breathtaking landscapes. Salkantay, one of the most sacred mountains in the region. The hike starts at the base of Salkantay at 3,883 meters or 12,740 feet and brings you down through five ecological zones to Machu Picchu at 2,450 meters or 8,040 feet, giving you the opportunity to pass through mountains, cloud forests, and jungle.
We pick you up very early in the morning from your hotel, we will drive by about 4 hours to Soraypampa where we will start the trek. The first hike is a bit tired all uphill to get to Soyrococha where we can have here a panoramic view of the snowcapped Humantay and Salkantay. This is just starting!!. We will take our time to enjoy these landscapes. Then we will start the descent to our first Huayracmachay camp.
Total distance: 16 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 7-8 hours
Maximum altitude point: 4,600 m (aprox.)
Campsite altitude: 3,800 m (aprox.)
This day starts from 6:30 in the morning, is a very tired day, everything is hike downhill for about 5 hours until you reach the town “La Playa”; After lunch we will take a local transport to “Hidroheléctrica” where we will continue our walk next to the railroad to the town of “Aguas Calientes” for 2 hours approximately.
Total distance: 19 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 7-8 hours
Maximum altitude point: 2,750 m (aprox.)
Aguas Calientes altitude: 1,900 m (aprox.)
Important day! Visit to Machupichu. We will have to get up early to visit the Great Inca Citadel (Machupicchu), there are 2 ways to climb; One is by car that takes 25 minutes approximately and another is walking that takes 1 hour and 30 minutes aprox, it is advisable to go by car to see the sunrise in the great Inca city.
When you arrive in Machupicchu you have a tour with your guide for approx 2 hours, then if you want and have your ticket you can go up to the Huaynapicchu or La Montaña, 2 places super recommendable.
Finally you will have to descend to Aguas Calientes to take the train with return to Ollantaytambo, here will wait for our transport that will take you to your hotel in Cusco. End of Tour.
Total distance: 4 km (aprox.)
Estimated walking time: 1- 2 hours
Maximum altitude point: 2,700 m (aprox.)
* We need a minimum of 2 people to run the tour. We guarantee that your tour will be limited to a maximum of 8 people.
We are the only Travel Agency to Machu Picchu that works exclusively with specialists and experts.
Treks are our passion and customer satisfaction our success! “
- Transportation from your hotel in Cusco to the start of the hike and back to your hotel at the end
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
- Train tickets from Aguas Calientes to ollantaytambo and back to Cusco.
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes and we do include a 2 star hotel called Vista Machupicchu, depends of the availability.
- Duffle bag that you can fill with up to 7kg of your personal gear that the horses will carry.
- Other camping equipment,
- Experienced tour guide fluent in English, Spanish and Quechua. Our guides are equipped and trained to practice First-Aid, administer oxygen if needed, and conduct radio communication.
- Complete meals and snacks during the trip (the last lunch in Aguas Calientes is not included). Our experienced chefs make amazing meals in the middle of the mountains and are also used to preparing dishes for people with different food restrictions or lifestyles, so please let us know your preferences and we will make sure to meet your dietary needs.
- Professional chef who grew up in the countryside and a horseman with horses/mules to carry all of our gear
- Lunch on the last day.
- Sleeping bag or trekking poles (can be rented from us).
- Tips for guide, chef, and horseman.
- Original passport and student ISIC card (if applicable)
- Sleeping bag (or you can rent one from us)
- A small day backpack to carry your personal belongings (the horses will carry the items that you do not need during the day)
- Bathing suit (if you would like to enjoy the hot springs in Aguas Calientes)
- Good sneakers or light hiking boots, and one pair of flip-flops or light sandals
- Camera and extra batteries
- Rain gear (especially if traveling in the wet season, from October to March)
- Comfortable hiking clothes
- Bug repellent
- Sunscreen and sunglasses
- Cap for the sun
- Warm clothes for the nighttime including thermals, warm hat, and gloves
- Travel towel
- Toilet paper
- Water bottle and about 1 liter of water for the first day until lunch, and after that we will supply you with boiled water for the rest of the hike.
WHY BOOK TRIPS WITH US ?
Mamacoca Expeditions is a nature-loving travel agency with extensive experience in hike and long walks that will make your trip unforgettable.
SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE
We do not settle for existing routes, we continue creating new routes to Machupicchu. More info select the tab “Expeditions”
Mamacoca Expeditions, has highly qualified equipment for the mountains, when renting equipment with us, you will be renting quality.
We count, not with workers; if not with “partners”; our guides have extensive experience in the world of tourism. There is no question that they can not answer.
Peru is characterized in having one of the best meals of the world, we take this gastronomy to the mountains.